Wednesday 16 December 2009

The horrors of being/having/knowing a teenager.

We've all been one, whether you admit it or not. There are those few years in time when we become a spotty-faced, binge-drinking, socially inept human being who is anything but a pleasure to be around.
When I look back at my 'teenager-ish' years I am hit with a surge of shame. For I was probably what you would call the epitome of a horrible teenager. For me, nothing mattered except my boyfriend and my friends. I didn't care about school work (something that I still stand by to some degree), I 'hated' my family, I rebelled from any authority or restrictions and was just 'too damn cool' to get off my backside if it wasnt for a party or to makeout with my boyfriend. Thinking about this now actually makes me want to shoot the memory clean out of my brain.
Although I still have 'teen' at the end of my age I feel I have passed the worst of this soul destroying time in ones life.

I am sure everyone goes through the symptoms of teen-arsewhole-itis to varying degrees but I defy you to completely deny it! My younger brother is presently going through the various stages. He enjoys sitting on his X-Box, conversing with the rest of the family for as limited an amount of time as he can get away with, and grunting about 15 seconds after he is asked a question.
He is a joy, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Who knows why we all are forced to commit to a few years of tireless teenage tendencies, all I know is that it happens to the best of us. Even those of us who deny completely the idea of being a 'teenager' at all. For example my older brother is possibly the person most against being a teenager that you will ever come across. From the age of 13 to 18 he denied being called a teenager no matter how much we tried to persaude him that 'you have 'teen' at the end of your age mate, there's no getting away from it!'. And he was one of the most argumentative, MOST TEENAGER-Y teenagers I've ever met.

*starts to plan a future involving anything but having children*

No comments:

Post a Comment